February is National Children’s Dental Health Month! Jay Harris Orthodontics is proud to be a part of the dental field. We hope to help patients and parents understand just how important their dental health is. The health of your overall body is directly connected to the health of your mouth!
Here are some interesting facts and some funnies to make you laugh for dental health month. Remember to see a dentist at least twice per year starting at age one and an orthodontist, like Dr. Jay Harris, for an evaluation at age seven.
Dental Health Month Facts
- Both your baby and adult teeth begin forming before you are born! All tooth buds are present in your jaw. The only exception is your wisdom teeth which do not begin developing until adolescence.
- Tooth enamel is the strongest substance in the human body!
- Like fingerprints, teeth are unique to the individual. No two people have the same set!
- Heart disease, osteoporosis, diabetes, and many other diseases are linked to your oral health.
- The average person produces enough saliva to fill two swimming pools in their lifetime! (about 25,000 quarts)
- About one third of your tooth rests under your gums! This is why it is important to floss and take care of your gums too!
- Your teeth can tell all about you! Scientists can study your teeth to tell how old you are, what your diet mainly consists of, and where you may have lived!
- Humans have understood the importance of “brushing” their teeth for centuries. The first toothbrushes were actually twigs that people would chew on to help clean their teeth. Around 5,000 B.C., Egyptians would use crushed eggshells and ground animal hooves to clean and polish their teeth. By the 1700s, a British inventor had created a brush (first seen in China) with a bone handle with boar bristles inserted into small holes and secured with wire. Modern toothbrushes with nylon bristles arrived in the late 1930s, and the first electric toothbrush was introduced in 1954! (taken from mouthhealthy.org)
Dental Health Month Funnies
- What does a dentist do on a roller coaster? He braces himself.
- What is the dentist’s favorite movie? Plaque to the Future.
- What do you call a dentist who doesn’t like tea? Denis.
- Why did the phone go to the dentist? Because it had Bluetooth.
- What do you call x-rays taken by a dentist? Tooth-pics!
- Why did the deer need braces? He had buck teeth.
- How do you fix a broken tooth? With tooth paste!
- What did the dentist say to the computer? This won’t hurt a byte.
- Why does Dracula clean his teeth three times a day? To prevent bat breath.
- Has your tooth stopped hurting yet? I don’t know… the dentist kept it.