Dental checkups become even more important when you get braces put on. Every patient should continue to see the dentist twice a year for teeth cleanings. Depending on the type of treatment you require, your dentist may wish to see you more than twice a year. This ensures your teeth stay healthy throughout treatment.
Why should I see the dentist?
When you eat, food can get trapped under your brackets and wires, resulting in a buildup of plaque on the surface of your teeth. This plaque buildup can be difficult to remove over time. On the day your braces come off, you want your teeth and gums to be healthy and beautiful to match your straight teeth and perfect bite!
Braces and Oral Health
To keep your teeth healthy and make your dental checkups a breeze, it’s important to learn how to brush your teeth properly while you’re in braces. With the addition of orthodontic appliances, food particles can build up in hard-to-reach places. This makes it more difficult to completely clean your teeth.
When brushing your teeth, remember to:
- Brush four times a day, preferably after every meal and again before you go to bed.
- Carry a travel toothbrush with you so that you can clean your teeth when you’re at work or school.
- Use a proxy brush to clean hard-to-reach areas of each tooth.
- Floss using a super-flosser to remove food stuck between your teeth and brackets.
- Use a fluoride rinse every night before bed to keep your enamel strong.
Contact our office if you have any concerns about regular dental checkups or how to clean your teeth properly while in braces. We’re available to answer any questions you may have and can provide recommendations for quality dentists in the Columbus, Georgia area if needed.